Saturday, May 30, 2009

Talent Is Not Enough - An Incredible Book!

Some of you know by now that I'm a graphic designer. I love it. It combines (or has the potential to combine) almost all of my hobbies into one vocation - photography, art, computers, telecommuting :) and more!

Currently I'm in the process of developing my own design business (complete with website and promotional materials), so I would appreciate your prayers as I seek to learn everything I need to know about freelancing, managing a business, and relating to clients.

Though the task is daunting, I've discovered several resources which have been enormously helpful. Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers by Shel Perkins, is one of those. It covers a variety of topics such as:
  • How to get on the right career path
  • The best way to determine pricing
  • How to avoid common legal pitfalls
  • How to structure projects for success
  • The secrets of efficient teams
  • How to sustain your business long-term
Perkins book is easily accessible, very comprehensive, and tremendously insightful. He identifies the numerous disciplines that a successful designer must excel in, and points out the chief foibles and mistakes which can so easily lead to financial ruin and legal issues.

This has been such a helpful book for me, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Visit the official website for more details (and bonus chapters!) or purchase the book here.

No comments: