Sunday, June 20, 2010

For Dad

Dad,

There's so much I could say, but it all comes down to this - if it weren't for the grace of God and you in my life, I wouldn't be the man I am today. Being away for so long has only deepened my appreciation for you. I don't think I had any idea how much you sacrificed (and continue to sacrifice) for us. In the words of Edgar Guest:
We little guessed how much he did to smooth our pathway day by day,
How much of joy he brought to us, how much of care he brushed away;
But now that we must tread alone the thorough-fare of life, we find
How many burdens we were spared by him who was so brave and kind.
Though I know you're always there for me, things have been different with me being away, and I can't even begin to express how I miss you and appreciate you as I have begun to heft the burden of making my way in this world. When it comes to being a dad, you're my hero!
The glory of children are their fathers. (Proverbs 17:6b)
I pray for many more years of us fighting the battle together. Stand strong, and always know that I love you!

Benj

1 comment:

Tom said...

Thanks for the kind words, son. God has been gracious and faithful in working through our inadequacies to help your mother and I pass along the heritage we have been given. It is your duty to do the same and thereby expand the kingdom of God on earth.

We all can't wait to see you next week and spend some time together! Until then, may God continue to bless you and whatever you put your heart, mind and shoulder to.